Manhatta is a restaurant from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, combining sky-high views with down-to-earth hospitality. Perched sixty stories above Lower Manhattan, Manhatta offers stunning views of New York City, its bridges, and waterways. Helmed by Executive Chef Justin Bogle, Manhatta's constantly evolving menu takes traditional technique and locally sourced ingredients to unexpected places.
Who you are:
The Bar Director is responsible for the operational excellence of the bar and cocktail program, including service, menu development, staffing & people development, maintenance, and administrative responsibilities such as inventory, recipe costing, and scheduling. They will provide leadership and direction to the Bar and Service team, ensuring a high functioning & high-quality bar and beverage program that is set up to create memorable moments of hospitality for our guests and meet our financial targets. The role exists alongside the Wine Director and reports directly to the General Manager of the restaurant.
What you’ll do
- Develop and maintain a world-class and brand-aligned cocktail program, beer menu, and back bar that adds quality, value, and enhances the guest experience.
- Ensure all liquor, beer, and Non-Alcoholic costs are performing to target.
- Order liquor, beer, and Non-Alcoholic beverage, achieving best pricing by leveraging quantity discounts while keeping inventory on hand to target amounts.
- Cultivate and maintain additive supplier relationships while ensuring responsible choices for the businesses
- Cultivate a thriving bar business including new and existing regulars, while delivering consistent raves.
- Hire and train new bartenders and barbacks ensuring efficient steps of service and consistent cocktail production in service
- Coach bar team in fine-dining steps of service behind the bar, including deep knowledge of BTG wines and food pairings, course management, allergy management, correct mise en place, and seamless handoffs to sommelier team for wine service
- Partner with Wine Director and Executive Chef to promote a seamless identity and direction of the restaurant as a whole
- Design and enforce flow at service bar to achieve world-class efficiency and consistency.
- Provide best in class training and education to the Service and Bar team members to ensure sound knowledge and proficiency of all bar offerings.
- Ensure that all POS systems, menus and any other information related to the bar program remain up to date.
- Maintain excellent organization and cleanliness of the bar area, ensuring that all bar supplies and disposables are available, and the bar is DOH compliant at all times
- Schedule and manage dedicated bar prep lead team member
- Maintain inventory management system by ensuring correct invoice processing, recipe management, and POS mapping for correct depletions.
- Develop and nurture identity for Bay Room lounge program, driving repeat clientele and delivering raves in the new space
- Write weekly schedule for bartenders and barbacks, ensuring performance to budgeted labor cost.
- Conduct and supervise monthly inventory of liquor, beer, and N/A beverage, alongside Wine Director, beverage apprentice, and other support staff as necessary
- Continuously provide support to all service staff and actively participate in the cycle of service on the floor of the restaurant.
- Provide feedback and guidance with excellence and hospitality in mind, ensuring that all team members have a pathway for growth and development.
- Constantly seek internal and external opportunities to build our growing team.
- Act as a face of the bar program and restaurant in general to guests, media, and peers in the restaurant industry
What we need from you:
- 3+ years’ experience behind the bar in a similar environment, management experience strongly preferred
- Experience running a high-concept cocktail program
- Fine dining experience preferred
- Excellent food and beverage knowledge
- Excellent verbal & written communication
- Understanding of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook etc.)
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree or Certification in Hospitality-related field or equivalent expertise gained from time on the job
- English fluency required, Spanish preferred
What you’ll get from us:
- Annual salary of $82,000 - $87,000, plus bonus potential*
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Exclusive access to primary care, mental health, and other healthcare services through Radish Health
- Annual dining credit and 51% dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund
*The above represents the expected salary range for this position. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your experience and other job-related factors.