The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. The restaurant features refined, unexpectedly playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in two distinct culinary experiences: a bold prix fixe menu in the dining room and an à la carte menu in the lively Bar Room. An extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in both classic and emerging regions. Our service is characterized by warmth and approachability, with an unwavering commitment to excellence and a focus on creating unique experiences for guests. With its serene atmosphere and modern aesthetic, the restaurant’s design by the New York-based architecture firm Bentel & Bentel offers a welcome escape from the bustling Midtown neighborhood it calls home.
Who you are: An integral member of the restaurant’s Service team, the Bartender is a wealth of knowledge of all cocktails, spirits, wine, beer, and beverage selections and constantly delivers excellence and hospitality. The Bartender is responsible for production of all beverage orders coming from the dining room guests and must have a high level of food and menu knowledge to be able to support the team on the floor, answer questions from guests regarding beverage selections, and be a leader on the Service team.
What you’ll do:
- Create a welcoming and hospitable environment for all guests at the bar.
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of specialty and classic cocktails (ingredients, specs, build), wine, beer, and beverage offerings.
- Maintains fluency in all menu items and ingredients with the ability to suggest beverage pairings.
- Follows proper steps of service with grace, while maintaining a sense of urgency throughout service.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of the bar area, including the seating area.
- Communicates effectively with staff members, management, and the kitchen during service.
What we need from you:
- 2+ years’ experience as a Bartender or beverage service role, experience in a fast-paced restaurant bar or bar environment is a plus
- Passion for wine, spirits, beer, and N/A beverages
- English fluency and additional languages preferred, but not required
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time
- Ability to balance & carry multiple plates, glass racks and or/glasses, and lift objects up to 30 lbs.
What you’ll get from us:
- Hourly rate of $10/hour + tips
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- 51% dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Exclusive access to primary care, mental health, and other healthcare services through Radish Health
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund