The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. The restaurant features refined, unexpectedly playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in two distinct culinary experiences: a bold prix fixe menu in the dining room and an à la carte menu in the lively Bar Room. An extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in both classic and emerging regions. Our service is characterized by warmth and approachability, with an unwavering commitment to excellence and a focus on creating unique experiences for guests. With its serene atmosphere and modern aesthetic, the restaurant’s design by the New York-based architecture firm Bentel & Bentel offers a welcome escape from the bustling Midtown neighborhood it calls home.
Who you are:
An integral member of the restaurant’s Service team, the Sommelier is responsible for providing our guests with a memorable wine experience and ensuring the excellence and creativity of the beverage program. The Sommelier is trusted partner to fellow sommeliers, bartenders, and service staff and acts as an extension of the Beverage Director, aiding in service and operation of the wine and beverage program.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with Beverage Director to create and maintain an enticing wine program that enhances the guest experience.
- Provide guests with a memorable experience by providing guidance and suggestions of wine and beverage selections.
- Educate service team on wine, beer, spirits, cocktail and non-alcoholic beverage items in a way that adds value and fuels the team’s desires to learn and grow.
- Deliver a financially responsible wine program that results in increased sales and maintains an inventory that is in-line with the restaurant’s revenue and business levels.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a wide range of skills and knowledge in all service position and an eagerness to continue to learn and grow.
What we need from you:
- 2+ years experience as a Sommelier or wine service role
- Strong knowledge in wine, spirits, beer, and N/A beverages
- English fluency and additional languages preferred, but not required
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time
What you’ll get from us:
- Hourly rate of $10/hr + tips
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- 51% dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Exclusive access to primary care, mental health, and other healthcare services through Radish Health
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund