Union Square Cafe’s seasonal cuisine draws inspiration from the kitchens and tables of Italy, France, and Northern California. Union Square Cafe—the flagship business that launched Union Square Hospitality Group—has been one of the country’s most beloved restaurants for more than 35 years. In our second home on 19th Street, Union Square Cafe embodies the heartfelt passion and generosity that has been the restaurant’s calling card since we opened in 1985. Designed by Rockwell Group, our new home preserves the restaurant’s signature charm, intimacy, and familiarity in a fresh, contemporary dining environment. Union Square Cafe has won five James Beard Awards and earned Zagat Survey’s #1 ranking as New York’s Most Popular Restaurant an unprecedented nine times.
Who you are:
An integral member of the restaurant’s Service team, the Sommelier is responsible for providing our guests with a memorable wine experience and ensuring the excellence and creativity of the beverage program. The Sommelier is trusted partner to fellow sommeliers, bartenders, and service staff and acts as an extension of the Beverage Director, aiding in service and operation of the wine and beverage program.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with Beverage Director to create and maintain an enticing wine program that enhances the guest experience.
- Provide guests with a memorable experience by providing guidance and suggestions of wine and beverage selections.
- Educate service team on wine, beer, spirits, cocktail and non-alcoholic beverage items in a way that adds value and fuels the team’s desires to learn and grow.
- Deliver a financially responsible wine program that results in increased sales and maintains an inventory that is in-line with the restaurant’s revenue and business levels.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a wide range of skills and knowledge in all service position and an eagerness to continue to learn and grow.
What we need from you:
- 2+ years experience as a Sommelier or wine service role
- Strong knowledge in wine, spirits, beer, and N/A beverages
- English fluency and additional languages preferred, but not required
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time
What you’ll get from us:
- Hourly rate of $10/hr + tips
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Generous dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support