Union Square Cafe’s seasonal cuisine draws inspiration from the kitchens and tables of Italy, France, and Northern California. Union Square Cafe—the flagship business that launched Union Square Hospitality Group—has been one of the country’s most beloved restaurants for more than 35 years. In our second home on 19th Street, Union Square Cafe embodies the heartfelt passion and generosity that has been the restaurant’s calling card since we opened in 1985. Designed by Rockwell Group, our new home preserves the restaurant’s signature charm, intimacy, and familiarity in a fresh, contemporary dining environment. Union Square Cafe has won five James Beard Awards and earned Zagat Survey’s #1 ranking as New York’s Most Popular Restaurant an unprecedented nine times.
Who you are:
As a Line Cook, you have a strong passion for food, technique, and an eagerness to learn more, which comes with the opportunity to build on your skills and grow as a leader in the kitchen. The ideal candidate is friendly, curious, and devoted to becoming an integral member of a team that values hard work and attention to every detail.
What you’ll do:
- Display a working knowledge of all ingredients and preparation used on the menu.
- Consistently ensure that station mise en place is prepped, seasoned, and stocked throughout service and overall station remains clean and organized.
- Effectively participates in a professionally run service period, ensuring excellence in cooking, timing, plate assembly, and communication.
- Maintain a calm mental athleticism while managing picks and simultaneously taking direction from expediters and culinary leaders.
- Promote teamwork and excellence amongst the kitchen team.
- Demonstrate an eagerness to refine techniques and a desire to continually learn and grow.
What we need from you:
- 1+ years in a Line Cook position at a full-service restaurant, or similar experience
- Ability to walk or stand for long periods of time
- English fluency and additional languages preferred, but not required
What you’ll get from us:
- Hourly rate of $20 - $25/hr*
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Generous dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
*The above represents the expected hourly range for this position. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your experience and other job-related factors.