The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. The restaurant features refined, unexpectedly playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in two distinct culinary experiences: a bold prix fixe menu in the dining room and an à la carte menu in the lively Bar Room. An extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in both classic and emerging regions. Our service is characterized by warmth and approachability, with an unwavering commitment to excellence and a focus on creating unique experiences for guests. With its serene atmosphere and modern aesthetic, the restaurant’s design by the New York-based architecture firm Bentel & Bentel offers a welcome escape from the bustling Midtown neighborhood it calls home.
Who you are:
The Host is a vital member of the Service team as the first impression and point of contact with every guest and visitor at the restaurant. The Host must exude warmth and hospitality and is a partner to the Maître D’ in plotting, planning, and updating the dining room to efficiently coordinate seatings throughout each service.
What you’ll do:
- Create a welcoming and hospitable environment for guests whether in person or over the phone.
- Partner with Maître D’ to quote accurate wait times while “finding the yes” for all guests.
- Properly answer guest inquiries with regards to restaurant hours of operation and basic operational information, menus, and reservations.
- Act as a liaison between the guest, management, service staff and kitchen and communicate accordingly.
- Work with efficiency and a sense of urgency while remaining composed.
- Demonstrates a passion for guest experience and an eagerness to learn and grow.
What we need from you:
- Experience in a guest facing role in a restaurant preferred, but not necessary
- Basic understanding of Resy functions
- Ability to walk or stand for long periods of time
- English fluency and additional languages preferred, but not required
What you’ll get from us:
- Hourly rate of $10.65/hour + tips
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- 51% dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Exclusive access to primary care, mental health, and other healthcare services through Radish Health
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund