The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. The restaurant features refined, unexpectedly playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in two distinct culinary experiences: a bold prix fixe menu in the dining room and an à la carte menu in the lively Bar Room. An extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in both classic and emerging regions. Our service is characterized by warmth and approachability, with an unwavering commitment to excellence and a focus on creating unique experiences for guests. With its serene atmosphere and modern aesthetic, the restaurant’s design by the New York-based architecture firm Bentel & Bentel offers a welcome escape from the bustling Midtown neighborhood it calls home.
Who you are:
The Beverage Apprentice works hand in hand with the Wine Director and Sommelier team on all aspects of the wine program. The ideal candidate is curious, detail oriented, and has a passion to expand their knowledge of wine and service. The Wine Apprentice is comfortable with working independently but can also add value as an integral part of a larger team.
What you'll do:
- Serve as a key team member within the restaurant by helping to drive excellence in all areas of the wine program and operation.
- Take responsibility of the daily receiving and stocking of all wines, always ensuring organization and cleanliness of the wine storage areas.
- Support with monthly inventory of all wines.
- Maintain systems such as Binwise, Avero, Gather, and others in the daily operations of the wine program.
- Work closely with the private dining sales department in order to ensure timely availability for all wine for private events.
What we need from you:
- Strong interest in working with wine and becoming familiar with all of the great wines and regions of the world.
- Familiarity with Binwise, Gather, Avero and other restaurant software.
- Understanding of Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
What you’ll get from us:
- Hourly rate of $20 - $23/hour
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- 51% dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Exclusive access to primary care, mental health, and other healthcare services through Radish Health
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund