You: Are a passionate leader in restaurant operations. You have at least 2-3 years in lead role in an upscale, high-volume kitchen. You are looking to hone your craft and grow your career with an innovative and employee-centric restaurant group with a stellar reputation in the community.
The restaurant:?Our menu offers a unique approach to Mexican and Latin American cuisine.?Bright, fresh ingredients and regional influences shine through lunch tortas and taquito spreads, our seasonal guacamoles and salsas, and traditional chicken mole Oaxaca full of rich flavor. This seasonally driven menu,?along with our extensive Mezcal and Tequila selection, provide?our teams with the opportunity to hone their craft and deliver extraordinary experiences to our guests.
The role:?The primary responsibility of the Sous Chef is to run organized, well-managed shifts, ensure consistent and high-quality food and maximize the profitability and organizational stability of the restaurant, while also being accountable for his/her assigned Areas of Responsibility (AOR?s). They will exude pride in culinary excellence, have a passion for creating great food and memorable experiences for guest, and practice sound, profitable management techniques.
The company: As the creators of Atlanta?s most beloved and respected restaurants, catering and event design companies, Fifth Group Restaurants craft meaningful, memorable and exceptional experiences for our guests with creativity and connected service. The hospitality we?re celebrated for is brought to life by our team members. As a member of the FGR Family, you?ll enjoy real professional growth, job satisfaction, supportive and respectful environments and industry leading benefits for all positions. In addition, Fifth Group continues to lead the way by maintaining safety and sanitation protocols which exceed guidelines.
The Sous Chef will manage from Fifth Group company values, mission and purpose, and shall make decisions with the long- term success of the company in mind.
The Sous Chef is responsible for all of the following areas:
People/Staffing: We value learning and growing. We are inspired by and foster creativity.
- Directly supervises BOH hourly staff with leadership and guidance from the Executive Chef and General Manager.
- Holds all BOH staff accountable for fulfilling their job descriptions, appearance, timeliness and professionalism.
- Executes new hire training and ongoing training follow-up, in a consistent and timely manner.
- Responsible for maintaining proper staffing levels, including line cooks, prep cooks and dish staff.
- Responsible for proper preliminary new hire interviews to include: completion of pre-interview questionnaire, new hire recommendations to EC, participation in the final decision-making process.
- Holds hourly staff accountable through timely, consistent feedback, coaching and when appropriate documentation.
Financial, Legal and Administrative: We are committed to profitability.
- Develops and demonstrates an understanding of the P&L statement specifically; budgets vs. actuals and how they contribute to PAC by preparing for and actively participating in P&L meetings and reporting on assigned AOR?s.
- Supervises/communicates with hourly staff and management to achieve budgeted costs with regard to all COS categories including labor, food, beverage and controllables.
- Ability to target problem areas, such as food cost, labor and controllables, as well as develop and execute plans to solve the problem areas and attain targets.
- Responsible for controlling waste through the consistent use of all waste tracking tools, efficient product storage, usage, yield and rotation methods.
- Scheduling and personnel management to achieve budgeted production and support labor cost.
- Assist EC and GM with preventive maintenance and maintenance scheduling of all restaurant equipment.
- Responsible for managing par levels for all chemicals, BOH supplies, smallwares, etc.
Operations: We demand quality.
- Demonstrates the ability to work and teach each position in kitchen.
- Possesses and demonstrates excellent culinary skills, sets example for and instructs hourly staff members.
- Aids in development and maintenance of a thorough and accurate recipe file.
- Participates with Executive Chef in the creative process in both daily specials and menu development, in accordance with the restaurant concept guidelines while following Fifth Group?s menu change SOP?s.
- Executes productive, smooth shifts and meal periods including upkeep of systems.
- Holds the BOH staff accountable for completing of opening and closing duties, executing all shift procedures, daily and weekly duties.
- Responsible for developing and demonstrating excellent expediting skills to guarantee consistent ticket times, perfect plate presentations, and maximum guest satisfaction.
- Upholds stringent standards of food quality, food handling practices, culinary technique and sanitation.
- Consistently monitors and proactively manages workplace safety and back door security.
- Communicates professionally/proactively with the front of the house on freshness of product, portion size and plate presentation, 86 items/par levels, ticket times, food running, and business volume.
- Executes BOH/FOH menu meetings in a timely/consistent manner to include staff education, food knowledge and specifics related to the shift.
Management of the Team: We believe in success and generosity. We insist on integrity and respect.
- Responsible for providing leadership and being a role model for your fellow managers and all staff members
- Thorough comprehension of restaurant objectives and strategies as outlined in the Unit Quarterly Objectives (UQP?s).
- Effectively executes all time management tools on a consistent basis including period priorities, weekly master scheduling, timely meeting preparation, and execution.
- Timely/accurate writing of daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly priorities, while achieving all personal goals at a completion rate of 80% of better.
- Follows up and executes all weekly cleaning projects.
- Executes established FGR SOP?s (line checks, closing checklists, waste sheets, and weekly cleaning).
- Sets exemplary standard of self-accountability and timeliness/ punctuality.