The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. The restaurant features refined, unexpectedly playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in two distinct culinary experiences: a bold prix fixe menu in the dining room and an à la carte menu in the lively Bar Room. An extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in both classic and emerging regions. Our service is characterized by warmth and approachability, with an unwavering commitment to excellence and a focus on creating unique experiences for guests. With its serene atmosphere and modern aesthetic, the restaurant’s design by the New York-based architecture firm Bentel & Bentel offers a welcome escape from the bustling Midtown neighborhood it calls home.
Who you are:
The Bar Manager is responsible for the oversight of all functions pertaining to beverage operations, including service, menu development, staffing & people development, bar maintenance, and administrative responsibilities such as inventory, recipe costing, and scheduling. The Bar Manager will provide leadership and direction to the Bar and Service team, ensuring a high functioning & high-quality bar and beverage program that is set up to create memorable moments of hospitality for our guests and meet our financial targets .
What you’ll do
- Actively participate in the cycle of service as a manager on the restaurant floor, providing support to all service staff as needed.
- Maintain a world-class,brand-aligned cocktail and liquor program that blends small-batch artisanal spirits with benchmark international examples, and a beer program to suit all tastes, both designed to drive value and engagement with guests
- Grow and maintain a thriving bar business and beverage program that meets and exceeds sales targets.
- Ensure proper systems and procedures are in place and consistently enforced to increase efficiency, productivity, and profitability of the bar program.
- Ensure that all POS systems, inventory systems, beverage lists and any other information related to the beverage program remain accurate and up to date and are understood by the team.
- Ensure all beverage-related expenses are performing at or below budget.
- Perform monthly inventory of all beverage products on site, ensuring accurate accounting of all products used.
- Maintain excellent organization, and cleanliness of the bar area, ensuring that all bar & beverage supplies and disposables are available, and the bar is DOH compliant at all times.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all leaders and line staff throughout service periods, ensuring effective and timely communication.
- Provide feedback and guidance with excellence and hospitality in mind, ensuring that all team members have a pathway for growth and development.
- Consistently look for internal and external opportunities to build our growing team.
- Ensure knowledge of and adherence to all applicable laws, policies and procedures in addition to DOL/Health Department compliance as it pertains to the operation.
What we need from you:
- 3+ years’ experience behind the bar in a similar environment, management experience strongly preferred
- Excellent food and beverage knowledge
- Excellent verbal & written communication
- Understanding of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook etc.)
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree or Certification in Hospitality-related field or equivalent expertise gained from time on the job
- English fluency required, Spanish preferred
What you’ll get from us:
- Annual compensation of $70,000-$80,000, plus bonus potential*
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Exclusive access to primary care, mental health, and other healthcare services through Radish Health
- Annual dining credit and 51% dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund
*The above represents the expected salary for this position. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your experience and other job-related factors.